The Right Coverage for the Right Strategy
The Alexander Group’s rigorous sales coverage modeling helps companies:
- Align the right resources, through the right channels, to the right customer
- Increase revenue per headcount
- Determine the best structure for the sales force — direct sales vs. agents, field vs. inside sales, account management vs. product-focused
- Assess the need to shift from product selling to solutions selling
- Pinpoint and realign any over- or under-covered territories
Perhaps nothing in an organization has a more direct impact on ROI than the sales coverage model.
That’s why the Alexander Group initiates thoughtful and careful alignment of the sales organization’s resources to the business strategy.
The right sales coverage model takes into account the target customer and segment, the size and structure of the sales force deployed against them, and the sales channels used to reach them. We take a deep dive into all of these elements to develop a specific set of sales processes and roles that clearly answers the questions of how, where and when to deploy sales resources.
We develop sales coverage models based on the following factors:
- Customer segmentation and targeting. Customer segmentation yields specific insights about customer buying habits and needs, grouping them by similarities and economic attractiveness. Targeting prioritizes these segments and determines which customers merit the most resources.
- Channel selection and sales coverage model design. We determine which sales channel (direct vs. indirect, for example) or which combination of channels (multiple channels may offer efficiencies that one channel alone can’t achieve) reach the target with the appropriate sales cost.
- Sales process and role design. It’s critical that the right sales resources are doing the right things. To ensure this we define sales job content, functional accountabilities, organizational structure and reporting relationships to cover targeted sales segments.
- Sizing and deployment. We help clients determine how many resources are required in each sales position and where they should be deployed. Through this we optimize territories, headcount and cost of sales to maximize the ROI of sales coverage assets.
As business strategy evolves and changes every year, so should the sales coverage model. By including coverage model evaluation into fiscal year planning, we help companies make sure their sales force tracks with financial goals. Whatever the sales coverage model, we work to maximize output, minimize cost and drive sales productivity.
Learn how Alexander Group's sales coverage service can help your organization. Contact us today.