Technology is driving sales model transformation in the manufacturing industry. The manufacturing industry faces the most disruptive change in decades as customers refocus on their core business and look to lower TCO.
Nearly all traditional manufacturing firms are experiencing growing pains in their sales models that are more typical of technology companies, who have been forced to move from a straightforward, product-driven approach to a more complex, but sustainable, value-driven sales model. Legacy manufacturing firms risk commoditization and obsolescence if they don’t evolve in a similar way.
eBook: Findings from the Alexander Group’s Manufacturing Sales Strategy Survey.
In the new market dynamic for manufacturers, the selling function provides perhaps the most vital link in driving the full value of your company’s offerings.
But a typical legacy selling model is not suited for the new, technology-driven marketplace:
- Your legacy sellers need new skills and tools to sell solutions rather than products
- Traditional distribution / partner channels inhibit your sellers from getting closer to end customers and driving bigger ticket sales
- Siloed product organizations impede sellers from providing multi-product and service solution sets that best fit the need of your customer
- Product, solution and project specialists in your organization are not utilized or well integrated into the selling model
- Your customers are covered from local territories, regardless of their size, needs and geographic footprint
- Incentive compensation plans are overly conservative, reinforcing maintenance and relationship selling
Complex, global manufacturing firms need to adapt a more effective selling model. A sales model transformation can help you greatly increase sales effectiveness while minimizing disruptions to your core business. The result? An agile and highly effective sales force that is aligned with your business objectives.
Case Study: Due to a shift in the economic environment and associated buying behaviors, this global industrial manufacturer sought the help of AGI to identify target opportunities and create new go-to-customer models.
Contact us to learn more about how Alexander Group can help improve revenue growth for manufacturing.