Set the Agenda for Value Creation
The Shift to Go-to-Market Performance
The level of investment caution has increased due to economic uncertainty, inflation and rising interest rates, leading to slow deal volume.
As a result, the focus on commercial diligence and value creation has now shifted to optimizing portfolio companies’ go-to-market (GTM) strategies. The challenge? Getting the management team to think bigger.
Deal and operations teams must convince management to invest in the talent and new GTM models needed to deliver aspirational growth.
- Is the commercial organization aligned to the markets and segments where they have a right to win? Are they positioned to win customers that will deliver the needed unit economics?
- Do they leverage the right mix of motions, channels and roles to win more than their fair share?
- Is the model effective and efficient? Will it scale?
- Are there any people, processes, technology or other deal model inhibitors?
- Does the business have the leadership and talent in place to enact change and deliver growth?
Private Equity (PE) operations teams and portfolio company management must be agile with value creation plans. They must be prepared to pivot their teams quickly to respond to downturns and capitalize on growth.
Alexander Group works with deal and operating partners and portfolio company leaders to assess, design and implement revenue growth solutions that drive real impact throughout the entire PE lifecycle.
How We Help
- Commercial diligence: Answer diligence questions related to the marketing, sales and service organizations. Determine if the target company has the commercial model needed to bring the deal thesis to life. Scope the future state, produce a financial business case, deliver an initial view of a commercial value creation plan.
- Value creation plan & execution: Determine the critical steps to engage and win over the management team within the first 90 days. These include strategic planning sessions, a structured, codified onboarding process, and defining commercial opportunities, metrics and benchmarks.
- Sales optimization: Address a portfolio company’s specific sales effectiveness challenge. Common issues include segmentation and coverage, sales process and pipeline management, territory calibration, talent optimization and sales compensation.
- Marketing & demand generation blueprint: Evaluate current and new markets and areas of opportunity. In addition, optimize marketing channels, mix and return.
- Pricing: Build a differentiated pricing capability by determining which offers have greater value and how price can align, moving from blanket price increases to trailing/deploying differentiated pricing, and setting new pricing/discount guidelines for specific segments, based on likely pricing impact.
- Change adoption: Develop multiple dimensions for successful implementation and change adoption through sales playbooks, sales enablement, collaborative launch design, communication process and decision support through data and operations support.
- Profitable growth: Tune up the go-to-market model and performance, and ensure the portfolio company is lean, focused and sustainable leading up to exit.
Private Equity: Why Should Deal Teams Care About Go-to-Market Practices?Deal teams invest too much to have a winning strategy undermined by poor commercial execution. Discover how the right commercial value creation plan can make a difference to align marketing, sales and service teams.
Portfolio Company Research OpportunitiesOpen Opportunities
- Customer Experience Survey Customer Experience (CX) is the overall impression and perception that customers have based on their interactions with your brand, products and services. Are you delivering best-in-class customer experience throughout all touchpoints of the customer journey, including pre-purchase, purchase and post-purchase interactions?
- Healthcare Industry Trends Study As a healthcare leader, how can you meet the needs of the rapidly changing buyer journey in 2021? Compare your business processes and performance metrics to that of your competition! Set the rules for winning by joining Alexander Group’s Healthcare Industry Trends Research.
- Life Sciences Industry Trends Study As Life Sciences and Analytical Instruments commercial leaders capitalize on near-term growth, they must also evaluate the market trends that will impact progress as they plan for the next three to five years. Join the study to weigh in on industry strategies, insights and metrics and receive a full report of the findings, including custom benchmark comparisons.
- Manufacturing & Distribution Industry Trends Research: Strategies | Insights | Metrics Digital investments are increasing dramatically. Innovative products are driving profitable growth but require significant changes in talent for new roles and more advanced skill sets. Adapting to new customer preferences and the 24/7 buyer journey is forcing the integration of marketing, sales and service. Is your firm keeping up with industry changes?
- Sales Compensation Trends Survey For industry leaders in HR, sales and sales compensation, participants will provide input on 2023 results and program goals and objectives for 2024. Focus areas include quotas, staffing and headcount along with sales comp plan changes around measures, weights, performance periods, MBOs, pay mix and leverage.
- The First Sales Compensation Design Question Everyone Asks: “What Are My Measures?” Sales compensation weights and measures communicate both the sales strategy and the definition of success to individual sellers. In this way, selecting the appropriate measures can be the difference between a general plan that fails due to lack of specificity and a tailored plan that creates the role-specific outcomes required.
- XaaS Research: Revenue Models and Productivity Address critical go-to-customer model dynamics, best practices and industry-specific insights by participating in this on-going research.
- Commercial Practices to Drive Profitable Growth & Valuation Economic downturn. Unpredictable markets. These are just a few factors that are preventing commercial leaders from determining and realizing revenue goals. How can organizations achieve differentiated growth, productivity and efficiency for profitable growth?
- Customer Experience Study Through surveys and interviews with commercial leaders from 160 companies across industries, this study provides the best practices to develop a successful customer experience (CX) strategy to generate loyal customers that return time and time again.
- Digital Go-to-Customer Study Discover the industry trends, insights and frameworks on the digital impact on revenue growth, as well as recommendations for increased sales performance and growth in a digital environment.
- Digital Insights Study Digital means changing how companies engage with customers and enable their commercial teams. Determining where and when your customers interact with your products and solutions can impact your organization’s digital maturity and where to guide your investments.
- Marketing Insights Study Over 150 marketing executives were interviewed to determine the marketing initiatives being prioritized to maximize customer lifetime value. From marketing roles and resource allocation to marketing mix, channels and spend, get the latest insights on where marketing leaders are investing to advance their organization’s marketing maturity.
- Revenue Operations Survey Over 200 executives in sales and revenue operations were surveyed across Business Services, Financial Services, Manufacturing and Distribution, MedTech, Health and Wellness, Media and Technology to determine the leading practices of world-class revenue operations organizations.
- Sales Compensation Hot Topics Survey Over 350 sales compensation leaders across seven industries provided insights on key sales comp topics including costs, quota planning and attainment, profitability, AI’s impact on comp, global comp practices, marketing comp practices and client/deliver services comp practices.
Upcoming Private Equity Events
Precision Pricing: Unlocking Profit to Outperform Competitors SeriesWebinar
Session 3 | Cost-Plus Pricing: Stop Leaving Money on the Table
Intuitively, using cost-plus to set pricing would allow organizations to keep pace with inflation and ensure long-term financial viability. Yet, more than half of B2B organizations failed to keep pace with inflation in this past year. In this webinar, Avy Punwasee of Revenue Management Labs and Kyle Uebelhor of Alexander Group will outline how using value-based pricing in place of cost-plus is essential to commercial success.
– Cost-based pricing versus value-based pricing
– Unlocking customer value and willingness to pay
– Understand the competitive landscape and how that will impact pricing decisions
– Determining the true financial value of your offering
– Change management considerations when migrating to a value-based approach
2:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. ET
Complimentary sessions for deal, operating and management teams on topics including profitable growth, navigating disruption, go-to-market levers, VCP execution, change adoption, revenue motions, pricing, sales optimization and more.