Set the Agenda for Value Creation
The Shift to Go-to-Market Performance
The level of investment caution has increased due to economic uncertainty, inflation and rising interest rates, leading to slow deal volume.
As a result, the focus on commercial diligence and value creation has now shifted to optimizing portfolio companies’ go-to-market (GTM) strategies. The challenge? Getting the management team to think bigger.
Deal and operations teams must convince management to invest in the talent and new GTM models needed to deliver aspirational growth.
- Is the commercial organization aligned to the markets and segments where they have a right to win? Are they positioned to win customers that will deliver the needed unit economics?
- Do they leverage the right mix of motions, channels and roles to win more than their fair share?
- Is the model effective and efficient? Will it scale?
- Are there any people, processes, technology or other deal model inhibitors?
- Does the business have the leadership and talent in place to enact change and deliver growth?
Private Equity (PE) operations teams and portfolio company management must be agile with value creation plans. They must be prepared to pivot their teams quickly to respond to downturns and capitalize on growth.
Alexander Group works with deal and operating partners and portfolio company leaders to assess, design and implement revenue growth solutions that drive real impact throughout the entire PE lifecycle.
How We Help
- Commercial diligence: Answer diligence questions related to the marketing, sales and service organizations. Determine if the target company has the commercial model needed to bring the deal thesis to life. Scope the future state, produce a financial business case, deliver an initial view of a commercial value creation plan.
- Value creation plan & execution: Determine the critical steps to engage and win over the management team within the first 90 days. These include strategic planning sessions, a structured, codified onboarding process, and defining commercial opportunities, metrics and benchmarks.
- Sales optimization: Address a portfolio company’s specific sales effectiveness challenge. Common issues include segmentation and coverage, sales process and pipeline management, territory calibration, talent optimization and sales compensation.
- Marketing & demand generation blueprint: Evaluate current and new markets and areas of opportunity. In addition, optimize marketing channels, mix and return.
- Pricing: Build a differentiated pricing capability by determining which offers have greater value and how price can align, moving from blanket price increases to trailing/deploying differentiated pricing, and setting new pricing/discount guidelines for specific segments, based on likely pricing impact.
- Change adoption: Develop multiple dimensions for successful implementation and change adoption through sales playbooks, sales enablement, collaborative launch design, communication process and decision support through data and operations support.
- Profitable growth: Tune up the go-to-market model and performance, and ensure the portfolio company is lean, focused and sustainable leading up to exit.
Private Equity: Why Should Deal Teams Care About Go-to-Market Practices?Deal teams invest too much to have a winning strategy undermined by poor commercial execution. Discover how the right commercial value creation plan can make a difference to align marketing, sales and service teams.
Portfolio Company Research OpportunitiesOpen Opportunities
- Healthcare Industry Trends Study As a healthcare leader, how can you meet the needs of the rapidly changing buyer journey in 2021? Compare your business processes and performance metrics to that of your competition! Set the rules for winning by joining Alexander Group’s Healthcare Industry Trends Research.
- Life Sciences Industry Trends Study As Life Sciences and Analytical Instruments commercial leaders capitalize on near-term growth, they must also evaluate the market trends that will impact progress as they plan for the next three to five years. Join the study to weigh in on industry strategies, insights and metrics and receive a full report of the findings, including custom benchmark comparisons.
- Manufacturing & Distribution Industry Trends Research: Strategies | Insights | Metrics Digital investments are increasing dramatically. Innovative products are driving profitable growth but require significant changes in talent for new roles and more advanced skill sets. Adapting to new customer preferences and the 24/7 buyer journey is forcing the integration of marketing, sales and service. Is your firm keeping up with industry changes?
- XaaS Research: Revenue Models and Productivity Address critical go-to-customer model dynamics, best practices and industry-specific insights by participating in this on-going research.
- Commercial Practices to Drive Profitable Growth & Valuation Economic downturn. Unpredictable markets. These are just a few factors that are preventing commercial leaders from determining and realizing revenue goals. How can organizations achieve differentiated growth, productivity and efficiency for profitable growth?
- Digital Go-to-Customer Study Discover the industry trends, insights and frameworks on the digital impact on revenue growth, as well as recommendations for increased sales performance and growth in a digital environment.
- Digital Insights Study Digital means changing how companies engage with customers and enable their commercial teams. Determining where and when your customers interact with your products and solutions can impact your organization’s digital maturity and where to guide your investments.
- Healthcare Go-to-Market Model Transformation As the healthcare market continues to evolve, go-to-market strategies must adapt accordingly. Discover the five key levers to advance your commercial model to drive greater productivity.
- Marketing Insights Study Over 150 marketing executives were interviewed to determine the marketing initiatives being prioritized to maximize customer lifetime value. From marketing roles and resource allocation to marketing mix, channels and spend, get the latest insights on where marketing leaders are investing to advance their organization’s marketing maturity.
- Revenue Operations Survey Over 200 executives in sales and revenue operations were surveyed across Business Services, Financial Services, Manufacturing and Distribution, MedTech, Health and Wellness, Media and Technology to determine the leading practices of world-class revenue operations organizations.
Upcoming Private Equity Events
EMEA Sales Comp Community: First Sales Comp Design Question Everyone Asks: “What Are My Measures?”Virtual Roundtable
Sales compensation weights and measures communicate both the sales strategy and the definition of success to individual sellers. In this way, selecting the appropriate measures can be the difference between a general plan that fails due to lack of specificity and a tailored plan that creates the role-specific outcomes required. In this virtual session for the EMEA Sales Compensation Community, we will share best practices on how to choose between the myriad of measure options available as well data on the best weight and measures used in the marketplace.
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. BST
Private Equity: Levers to Balance Share Growth and Margin ExpansionVirtual Roundtable
Growth at all costs has given way to profitable growth. Deal and operating partners are driving portfolio company revenue leaders to focus on specific levers to balance share growth and margin expansion. In this PE Insiders Council virtual session, participants will get access to Alexander Group’s latest research on commercial practices to drive profitable growth and valuation. Topics include:
- Revisiting segmentation to prioritize profitable customer segments and prospects with attractive margin profiles
- Expanding outbound and inbound marketing functions to increase the volume and quality of leads
- Reducing the number of high-cost sales resources and deploying investments into low-cost channels
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. ET
Sales Compensation Symposium
Get the latest metrics, sales compensation and quotas insights/practices leading companies are using to drive revenue growth, manage costs and attract/retain talent. Registration is complimentary.
12:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. ET
Join hundreds of senior sales, marketing, commercial and operations leaders to share stories of transformation, connect 1:1 virtually, and take away actionable ideas for how to win in an ever-changing 24×7 customer environment.
Friday, October 27, 2023
Private Equity Insiders Council
A community for PE leaders to discuss contemporary issues and key imperatives for portfolio company growth.
Complimentary sessions for deal, operating and management teams on topics including profitable growth, navigating disruption, go-to-market levers, VCP execution, change adoption, revenue motions, pricing, sales optimization and more.